Have we met?

Laura Prescott just left me a post on my Facebook wall that said "have I met you?" She was being facetious, of course, but it brings back a memory.

Just a few years ago I was a new member in the New England Chapter of the Association of Professional Genealogists (APG). I didn't know many genealogists yet. I went to a meeting that was held at NARA in Waltham. I took a seat and the room filled up. Arriving late was Laura Prescott. There weren't too many chairs left so she took the seat next to me. I remember thinking to myself "Wow, Laura Prescott is setting next to me!" I'm not trying to be funny. Laura is one of the most well-known genealogists in New England. After she sat down, she pulled out a salad and started eating away. She apologized to me profusely, saying that she was starving. Not only was this amazing genealogist sitting next to me but she was apologizing to me. What a night!

We've talked many times since that night. I'm happy to say that I now count Laura as one of my favorite colleagues and friends.

For those of you thinking about getting involved in professional genealogy consider joining your local chapter of APG. The reward and fun you will have networking and interacting with your colleagues is priceless.

Comments

  1. Funny: I read this as I'm trying to decide if I want to go to my local APG meeting... I guess I should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daphne - definitely go to the meeting. You will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment